Contempt of Court

Contempt of court, or simply “contempt,” is the act of willfully ignoring the court’s direction. A person can be held in either criminal or civil contempt for violating court order. Generally speaking, family law cases result in civil contempt. If you have a court order that you can’t comply with, or, if you have a court order that’s not being complied with, it’s in your best interest to consult The Law Office of Lydia J. Sartain.


In order to hold a person in contempt, the court must find that there has been a willful refusal to comply with the court’s order. In family law cases, some of the most common instances where contempt is either found or alleged are the following:

  • Failure to pay child support and/or alimony
  • Failure to follow child custody and/or visitation orders
  • Failure to sign any documents necessary to facilitate the transfer of property
  • Failure to surrender property or allow access to property
  • Failure to continue to provide a child with healthcare benefits
  • Failure to pay attorney fees

Failure to pay child support or alimony is generally the most common form of contempt found in family law cases. However, if you find yourself unable to make your child support or alimony payments, there are ways to handle the situation such that you do not incur fines and other penalties.


Schedule a Consultation

It’s natural to have questions about this process and what it means for you and your family. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our offices and set up a free consultation. We look forward to speaking with you and providing some peace of mind.

Lydia J Sartain Attorney at Law

    * We cannot guarantee that your selected date and time will be available.